Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Derby Week: Mini Marathon, guest blogger Scott Deitz

    I never really supported anything in my life (besides my Chicago sports teams), but when I got the news October 4, 2010 that Craig had pancreatic cancer I was like everybody else and thought that's bad, Patrick Swayze had that. I never gave up hope and I did a lot of research, I thought if they took out Craig's pancreas, and took half my liver and gave it to him problem solved. Apparently there is more to it then that, but Craig appreciated the offer of the liver.
     I spent a lot of time over at the Merimees house the last several weeks Craig was alive doing odds and ends around the house.  I would actually get excited when Michelle would call and say that a light bulb needed to be changed in a ceiling fan or she needs her light fixture painted, or we are hungry get us some Qdoba.  Any excuse to go over and see my great friend.  He was usually sleeping and was losing weight, but I still thought it could turn around.  Michelle teases me that I still think he will get better and I really did.  The morning when Michelle called and said that he went to the hospital you knew the time was coming quickly were Craig would be out of pain and at Home. 
     Last year myself, Chris and Janelle Richardson and Jamie Baker ran in the mini-marathon, and we had purple run shirts made up that read "Think the mini is hard try Cancer, pancreatic cancer awareness".  Before, during and after the run we had people come up to us and ask about our shirts and we would tell them about Craig and they would tell us about there dad, or brother, or mom who battled the disease.  It was amazing how many people had been affected by pancreatic cancer, and that was just the ones we saw during a 13.1 mile run. 
     So several months ago we decided to create a run team and raise some money for pancreatic cancer research.  Craig gave me a website to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and with his blessing we created team Craig's Hope.  Myself, Jamie Baker, and Scott Dant joined the team and started campaigning for donations and support.  Through Facebook, emails, and by word of mouth we raised $4,582.78.  We each had our own reasons for running on the team, because Craig was such a infectious guy that once you met him, you could not not like him.  I ran because Craig was like a brother to me, and I know that he would do anything I would ask of him to help me.  I wanted to raise money to find a cure for this disease because I don't want somebody else to feel the pain and sorrow I felt the day I had to carry my friend to his grave sight.  It would have been cool to see Craig on the side of the road again this year cheering us on like he did last year, but I know he was cheering from a better view. 
     Team Craig's Hope finished the 13.1 mile run this past Saturday with Jamie crossing the finish line first, then Scott Dant, and then me (as team captain I wanted to make sure nobody fell out of the race).  It was a beautiful day (contrary to the forecast) and we had a great cheering section of Michelle, Gwen, Janelle, Chris, Sara, Liz, Emily, Morgan, Kailyn, Alex, Hayden, Abby, Amelia, Anna, Emma, Riley, and Jacob.  Luckily there were no Elvises running by any of us so we were all spotted and given the encouragement to continue the last 4 miles.
    So next year we need to be bigger and better.  We need to turn the race purple, we need more runners, and cheerleaders.  We need more support so check your calenders and I believe the mini next year is on April 27, 2013.  You don't have to run, you can walk, crawl, push a stroller, whatever.  Join the team and lets raise some money.  Craig worked hard in the short time he was here to make changes when it comes to pancreatic cancer.  Now it is up to us to pick up were he left off and stop this disease.


The cheerleading squad on 3rd and Central



Scott Dant

Scott Deitz

Baker family and Jamie's guns

Scott and his banana and Michelle

beer after the race

32 degrees after dinner later that night with the team

    
Everyone
Here is the clip of Michelle on WLKY. This is the live shot.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment