Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My Single Mom Life by Angela Thomas

Sorry for the blog hiatus. It truly wasn't intentional. Father's Day was tough. It took a lot to figure out Hannah's birthday and prepare my heart for that day and Father's Day was two days later and it kind of blindsided me. We had planned to write notes and attach them to balloons like we did last year but a storm rolled in late afternoon and canceled that plan. Honestly, I simply survived most of that day. I feel guilty just surviving a day. Craig did everything he could to add days to his life, so to not give each day my all seems pathetic. There is nothing physically holding me back from finding joy each day but that day it just wasn't happening. We went to church and sat with some dear friends but after lunch it was simple about survival. Remembering to breathe and just push through. Emily and Morgan did write notes to Craig and we planned to do balloons at some point.

Back in May I emailed a friend from high school that was divorced and now is remarried to a Godly man. I asked her if there was a book that helped her through her journey as a single mom and she recommended Angela Thomas' book My Single Mom Life. I have seen Angela speak before so I could hear Tennessee twang as I read it. I underlined half the book. It is about bringing joy to a house that doesn't feel complete. As I read it, it was hard to admit that we needed to form a family of 4 but the book itself is very encouraging and now that it has been a couple week to let the message settle in, it is one of my favorites. It talks about surrendering to the Lords plan for yourself and He will rescue you through the power of prayer and relationship with Him. Trusting the Lord and being a joyful mom.
Here is one of the hundreds of passage that I underlined:
How now shall we live? We shall live like everything God has promised is true. God is here, He is ready to heal and restore and make your life new. Turn and see.
another one:
I believe with all my heart that God longs to hold you close, and He is able to provide for you, protect you, and heal your brokenness. He is the only One who can take a single mom from zero to hope.
Just reading it again gets me excited about being a great mom for my girls. They deserve it and I am doing all that I can do be the best that I can be. She tackles issues that single parents face each day: loneliness, solo parenting, etc. She talks about finances and trusting the Lord to provide, dating as a single mom, putting joy back into parenting after the loss of a marriage. It was refreshing and wonderful and encouraging, and fabulous. It is in my small stack of "go-to" books. Love it!
 


God has really put it on my heart lately to be content and joyful in the season of life that I am currently in. He has made it evident that I should enjoy each piece of my life as it is right now. I don't know what He has in store for me in the future but recently He made some awesome opportunities available. I started a summer bible study at SE Oldham county campus called "Discerning the Voice of God." I started the study b/c I thought He wanted me to learn to listen more rather than talking to Him. In cancerland it was constant conversation and He was consistently comforting me with each unspoken and spoken prayer. But now that I am in widow and single mom land I thought that my prayer life needed to change. I missed the first week of the study but the second week I was placed at a table with the other ladies that had missed the first week as well. I was asked to be the table leader which I gladly excepted. I have never led a bible study but I am soooo incredibly grateful for the opportunity. So I am sure that I do need to listen to the Lord more but the opportunity to lead makes me think that He doesn't necessarily want me quiet but He wants me to continue to tell my story and bring Him more and more Glory as I walk with Him each day. I cannot tell you how much this opportunity means to me. I am so grateful to be able to do this. Yeah table #9. :)

He has also lead me to some new possibilities in my career. Some opportunities have come around and my name has been in the mix of people that might be great for some new teams. Exciting things might be ahead. :)

God is so good. Since I have been working on being content in my life right now He has made it quite evident that I have a full and blessed life. And although I miss Craig and miss being married my life is complete b/c of all the blessing that He has given to me. I am so grateful that He uses me in so many ways. 

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

I will update more later but the girls are having a great summer. They are in VBS this week at St. Al's. They love it. They are swimming a lot and enjoying their time off. I can't believe that is almost the end of June. We love the summertime. :) More to come.

Craig, If there are blogs in heaven we are doing well. I am reinventing myself more and more each day. At times I worry if you will even know me when we see each other again but I think you might even like this Michelle better than the one that you were married to. :) The way that you handled the adversity of cancer inspires me each day to live life to the fullest. I love you, I miss you and I will see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment