Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, April 23, 2012

Derby Days: "They're Off Luncheon" and Thunder Party

So Derby season officially kicked off this weekend. Friday was the "They're Off" luncheon at the Galt House. Fantastic time, great lunch, wonderful tradition, great host (a radio group I work with here in Louisville, thank you for the invite MB!!). The keynote speaker was Erin Andrews from ESPN. Every male reader just lost their minds. She might possible be the hottest girl on TV AND she loves sports. Anyway. I was excited to go and it was a lovely afternoon minus losing my car in the garage of the hotel and the giant blisters on the back of my heels b/c of pretty "derby" shoes. I was heartbroken when I got home. I wanted so badly to tell Craig about the lunch and Erin Andrews. Craig wasn't much of a talker except for two topics: banking and SPORTS! Erin Andrews: it doesn't get better than that for a sports nut. So I texted a couple of guys friends... not the same as the conversation that would have gone on. Very sad. I miss him. I would have told him about her recap of the Louisville vs. West Virginia game, her love for the talented Charlie Strong. I would have mentioned several times about her love for Coach Cal. Craig wasn't a fan of Calipiri. We differed there of course. I would have told him that after a while it was annoying that every male that introduced her thought he was her best friend. It was funny the banter back and forth about bracket picks and favorite teams but after a while it is seemed over the top and I wondered if their wives were bothered by the silly comments some made in passing. He would have said something like she isn't any hotter than my wife. I would have said something like you are a fat LIAR but I appreciate it. I miss the conversation. I got so fed up with missing him I actually texted his phone that night and said, "I had lunch with Erin Andrews today. I miss telling you this stuff." He didn't text back... bummer. big bummer.

So that was Friday. Saturday my brother and I had planned to take Emily and Morgan to Thunder Over Louisville but the weather was too cold. I hate being cold and I hate hearing whining about being cold coming from two little girls so we threw together a Thunder Party in about an hours time. We ordered in Chili's with some gift cards that I had, the kids played in the basement and then when the fireworks were about an hour away the kids got into their PJs. We turned down the lights so the house was dark, passed out popcorn and glow bracelets and threw every blanket we had on the floor. It was like a rave for 6 years old. If you add 12 years to the party it would look like a Delta Gamma, Lambda Chi, Kappa party at UK except there might be something besides sugar in the kool-aide but the party animals would act about the same. It was so fun. After the fireworks we turned the lights on and my living room looked like a fraternity house after a rave party. oh well that is what vacuums are for. It was a great party, especially with zero planning.
gearing up for the fireworks inside a warm house!

Sunday was another great sermon by Kyle. Incredible. I'll post the link later.

Happy Derby Season!!

Craig if there are blogs in heaven, I love you, I miss you, I had lunch with a thousand people and Erin Andrews and she loves Coach Cal and I will see you...goodness I miss you. 

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to share how often I think of Craig - and how my relationship with Jesus was strengthened through talking with you and hearing from Craig about his faith. I will forever appreciate the Merimee Journey blog and our friendship, and I also love this new blog. I miss Craig too but it also comforts me knowing that he did impact so many lives here, and that he still impacts my life because I do continuously think of him, miss him, and think of you and the girls. Constant prayer and love from me and all of the Graviss'!

    ReplyDelete